Monday, February 14, 2011

Funny incidents in Nicaragua

So some of my embarrassing moments in Nicaragua:

A few Saturdays back, I was learning to wash clothes with my host mom, and we just finished rinsing my underwear. She told me she was done rinsing them, so I could hang them up, but there was still a little bit of soap left in them. Now, I knew that the word for soap in Spanish is "jabon", but I wasn´t thinking and I just said, "pero todavia hay sopa!" which literally means "there's still soup in my underwear!" Everyone laughed about that for a few days.

Then another day, one of my friends, Sarah, asked our facilitator what the word for underwear is in Spanish. She misunderstood and thought Sarah was asking for the word for diapers, which is "pañales". So for a while, we thought that pañales meant underwear. Then I told my story about the sopa in my underwear, and I said, "So I was washing my pañales..." The facilitator bursts out laughing and asks me, "Llevas pañales?" ("you wear diapers?"). And I was like, "Yes, of course." Then for the rest of the day everyone made fun of me for having soup in my diapers.

Well my Spanish is slowly improving. What we're doing now basically is giving talks (charlas) to patients at the health center and meeting every week with a women's group. We've been busy.

That's us at our first meeting with the women's group



The four of us at the second meeting. It was lovely how we had to meet with them on Sunday, the only day we have off.

We gave a charla about hygene...

...and we made them crepes so they could sample American food. Yea we chose crepes to represent America. They were supposed to make us a Nicaraguan dish, but a lot of promises made in this country are just suggestions.

Some of their boys. My favorite is that one who's in his diapers.


O yea, and I was out one Saturday, and I come back to find that they killed our pig!!

No comments:

Post a Comment