Monday, January 17, 2011

In Dolores

This morning, a bus dropped us off one by one in front of our host families houses. I arrived at around 10:30. My host family is really sweet. My host father is retired, and my host mother does not work. They sell avocados and plantains, so there are a lot of those lying around the house. Their son, Christian, just finished college. Cristina and Guillermo have a lot of pets--3 dogs, 2 parrots, and a pig. The pig is eventually going to be eaten. They also have a garden, with a lot of plants and trees. That is where the avocados and plantains come from. I think they enjoy having volunteers stay with them because it livens up the house. Guillermo has relatives living in New York, Dallas, San Diego, and Los Angeles. They occasionally mail them money and clothes from America.

Our lunch was delicious. Nicaraguans really know how to cook rice. We also had fried chicken, tomatoes, boiled plantains, and avocado. It was delicious. I really like this family because unlike most Nicaraguan families, they do not cook with too much oil or drink coca cola. They drink a lot of water and exercise every morning. Tomorrow, I am going to go for a walk with them at 5:30 a.m. My schedule here as been fantastic. I go to bed at 9 because I am so exhausted, and I wake at at 5:30-6. Anyway, so I just wanted to say that all is going very well. Spanish class this afternoon was boring but everything else has been wonderful.

O yea, it is a Peace Corps regulation that we get our own rooms with a lock. And I get my own bathroom.

3 comments:

  1. be cautious. the dog might think you steal the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you've found good food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your host family can speak english? i want to meet them! they sound really interesting :)

    yay for your own bathroom!

    ReplyDelete